Friday, December 10, 2010

Mother Knows


I would be a pillar of strength and source of wisdom
I would know that things won’t always go my way
And that tomorrow is another day
I would know that life is beautiful
Despite the tears and broken hearts
If I only knew what my Mother knows

I would know that things happen for a reason
And that most men will come and go
But that the one worth my time will hang around.
I would know that I should be loved for what I believe in
And not for how good I look on top of the sheets or in between
If I only knew what my Mother knows

I would know that my hands and my mind are good tools
And that a good education is important
But that a person without a caring heart is just a fool
I would know that hard work doesn’t always pay off
But that it pays the bills and buys some food.
If I only knew what my Mother knows.

I would know that family is always a priority
Coming before any deadlines or staff parties
I would know that my child’s happiness
isn’t based on toys, trips and games
But that a loving hug can actually erase all pain
If I only knew what my Mother knows

I would know that my life is exciting and interesting
That I should strive to build self-worth
I would know that heartache really hurts
And that the best cure is a prayer, a makeover, and a girl’s night out
And that any battle we fight is won over with love
If I only knew what my Mother knows

I would probably have no reason to shed a tear
Nor feel sad, nor even dare
The things I need to know
I’ve learnt because I’ve been shown
Yet I’m still learning some stuff on my own
Because I don’t know everything that my Mother knows


© Kathya J. Castañeda

No comments:

Post a Comment